Monday, September 16, 2013

NWA Mountain Bike Championship



This year marks the 25th year for the XC (Cross Country) race at Devils Dean State Park (DD). I have only ridden Devils Dean a few time and always wanted to race out there. On Thursday (12 SEP 13), after being egging on by some friends, I decided to go ride some laps and see if I really wanted to race DD. I had been sick with sinus issues for about two weeks and was not too sure if racing would be healthy. 

Well I felt great, had power, and liked to course. So I bit the bullet and decided I needed to race. After getting to bed at 10 pm, I had a chance to sleep-in until 7:30 am. I love local races with late start times. They give you plenty of time to wake up in the morning.

I got registration done, and was partially changed into my kit,  when I remembered that my rear tire was dry of Stans. I went over to one of the local shop tents hoping to get some to save the day. First stop proved fruitful , which meant I had one less thing to worry about.  With only 30 min left before the race I started spinning around the parking area and up and down the double track start.

I have not had much success at XC races in the past. I usually get the "Hole Shot" then blow up and fall back quickly. I decided that I would force myself to try a different strategy.

The start was much slower that I was expecting, no one was really looking to get a gap before hitting the single track. Defiantly something I'm not use to.  I passed a few people I knew would be slower and hit the trail head in 2nd place. I was reminded quickly why I don't like being behind people in the woods. I try to be smooth and squeeze every ounce of speed out of my smoothness. Most XC races seam to think sprinting from turn to turn is fast, but it's really just sketchy. 

After a few turns I notice that we had put in a gap on the field. I told the leader to "Ride smooth, we already have a gap on the field". After a few minutes the trail opened up, back on double track, just as I started to hear wheels quickly approaching. I decided it was time to moved to the lead and pushed the pace.  The only real climb comes at about 2.5 miles into the lap. Racers hill reminds me so much of the Oak Mountain climb (back when it was double track), I took a swig from my bottle and peak over my shoulder. 3 riders in tow, this will not end well.

I don't know how, but 5 minutes later I look back to see only one person. How had I dropped 2 people climbing at an "endurance race  pace"?  I pushed the speed down the hill, and was rewarded with clear trails all around, no one in sight ahead and no one in sight behind.  This was my first time ever to be off the front of a XC race (heck any race really). But by the end of the lap I had two people back on my wheel, and had made a small mistake, which caused me to cross the line in 3rd place.  

28 minutes for 5.5 miles? Not too bad, a little slower than I wanted, but I'm  with in eye sight of the leader!  I quickly gaped back up to the leaders on the double track and hit the trail on their wheels. I allowed a gap to form so I could have a clear view of the trail. (Small wheels have to take a different path then 29ers do) A few turns later I pass second as he was getting up from the dirt, I guess he had lost an edge trying to put a gap in on me. I push myself to the max for a mile or two th 
inking that he would be hot in pursuit, but when I looked back I did not see anyone. I backed off to an endurance pace and finished the second lap with something left in the tank.

The third lap was much harder for me, as the faster XC pace had started to hurt my endurance legs.  I was passed for second just after Racers Hill, right about the time the tank had hit empty.  I could not answer the attack as he passed, and settled on finishing 3rd. After 3 laps of 28 min (+-30sec) I crossed the line in 3rd. Not too bad considering I have had 0 specific training for XC and only decided on racing two days before hand. 


I just need to Ride more, Ride harder, and Get Faster. Only 6 months until Ouachita Challenge! 

Thank you Arkansas Outside for the photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment