Thursday, April 14, 2011

I Have Tasted The Cool-Aid That Is An Epic 29er. And Now I Want A Pitcher To Myself!

Over the past few years I have been able to test ride several bike at my local trails. And during this time I have never found a bike that I liked more than my 09' Stumpjumper HT. Well I finally found something I do like more.

Last year I try the 29er cool-aid but was not excited about the results. I test rode the 10' Stumpjumper HT 29er test bike that we had in the shop. At 2lbs heaver than my Stumpy it felt sluggish. It was not just the extra weight, it was also the 29er wheels. Being an Engineering student I understand that even at the same weight it will take more energy to accelerate the wagon wheels around turns, up hills, and across flats. More over I was use to running 20-25 psi in my tires but had to run 30psi in the test bike. I believe that the difference in tire pressure negated most of the advantages that people associate with 29er wheels. This one test ride turned me off to 29ers completely.

Then this year I had a chance to test ride the new Specialize Camber. I was highly impressed with the way that the Camber rode. Quit plush while still having quick and snappy handling. It felt like it was much faster than my stumpy, but the stop watch said otherwise. At more than 3 min slower over a 3 mile loop it was clear that, although a great trail bike, this bike is not designed to be a race bike.

This Wednesday I got a chance to ride the shops Epic 29er test bike. Boy that little test ride opened my eyes. Even after Ouachita Challenge, I've always thought that a 29er full suspension bike was overkill. If I was able to ride that trail, at speed, on a 26in HT then why would you ever want/need a full suspension 29er? Well it's simple, there bad @ss!
I did my test ride on the first Wednesday Night Worlds that Starkville has ever had. During my ride over to the trails I notice one of the small quarks that the new epics have. While seated the suspension boobs though its suspension sag. Nothing major just different than my Stumpy. Then during the parade lap I notice another quark. This quark involves the brain in the rear suspension. The brain engaging and disengaging was noticeable over small low speed bumps. Again nothing major, just different.

During the "race" I never notice either of these quarks. I was able to stay on Kevin's wheels though some really tight trails and was able to pass him for the "win". The momentum that the 29er wheels produce was very welcomed (and noticeable) and was produced without slowing the steering. This momentum helped me keep speed and smoothed-out my power output. This quality would be very welcomed during an endurance race. As I followed Kevin, I told him that the Epic seamed to force me to ride smoother. "Smother? Are you crazy?" Maybe, it's just the feeling that I got during my short time on the bike. Could I Monster Truck over everything on the trail? Sure. But did I? No.  I was able to produce the same time over the same trails as I use to on my Stumpy. But this was on a longer course and the day after pushing myself for 2.5 hours just under LT.

So do I want a Epic 29er? You bet. Even at 5lb heaver than my stumpy, and having wagon wheels, the bike never seemed sluggish. Not once, going around turns it felt snappy, accelerating out of turns it felt smooth, and it hid it's weight quite nicely up the hills.

The only things I would change about the bike I rode would be the handle bars (replace with my carbon ones), the grips (replace with my Ergons), the wheels (build up a light weight racing wheelset), and replace the crank with a XX unit. I think that with these upgrades that the bike would only be 2lb heaver than my Stumpy, but over all a better endurance racing weapon.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment