Thursday, March 24, 2011

A Little Late: Falling Behind

It's been 2 weeks since my last update, but since then I've had 2 races and spring break to deal with. So this week will have a few posts to update you with what's been going on.

Rouge Roubaix Race Recap

Well my last post was a kind of a pre-race pump up for me.  Leading into my second race of the year, and my first B-priority race, it was time for me to take an off week to mark the end of my Base 3 training. During this week I should of been on the bike every day doing recovery rides or leg openers.  Well I failed at that. Between School and other life obligations (read laziness) I only managed to get in a leg opener ride on Thursday and another leg opener on Saturday. 

Compressor Power Analysis
 Saturday night brought very little sleep as the excitement for the race started to build up in me. This was going to be my first century and only my second road bike race. Was I ready? Did I have everything I needed? Did I ride enough gravel? Would I be comfortable riding with a group of 70 other Cat 5s?

The next day I was out of bed and eating with only 3 more hours to contemplate these questions. Off went the Grand Fondo, off went the Cat 1/2 race. O cr@p, what side dose my number go on? Do I have all my food ready? Time to line up already?

Start

Before I knew it we where off.  The first several miles was a neutralized start. Then the race started as we turned onto High Way 66. The pace picked up as we rolled down the road with the only sound being the clicking of shifting gears and the humming of tires. Then as we approached the next turn the group let it be known that this was a Cat 5 race.  "Slowing, Right turn!" was heard coming from more than just a few people.

The next section of road consisted of rolling hills, winding turns, and more unnecessary announcements of group actions. About halfway through this sections the group "Nature Break" was suggested. As the racers pulled over there where more than a few people wondering what was going on.

With less than a mile left till the next turn the racers rejoined the group. Then came a dip in the road which caused everyone to suddenly yell "Slowing" so that they could craw over the dip, then turn left back onto High Way 66.  

This should of been the point where I started to move up in the pack, with about 5 miles left till the first gravel. But I was boxed in and was not aware of exactly how close we were to the gravel. In fact my general movement was rearward, further behind the contenders in the race.

First Gravel

As we turned onto the gravel I became painfully aware that my race plan was over. I entered the gravel sitting somewhere around 40th and had to quickly work my way around 15 or more slower riders. By time I got around these riders I was already 50+ yards behind the lead group and watched as my friends pulled to the front of the group to push the pace. The chase was on. I went about 90% LT trying to catch up with the lead group but about 1 mile into the gravel they pulled around two turns and was out of sight. I backed down to about 110% of my endurance pace and proceeded to suck the wheel of anyone that passed me.

The Catch

Once the gravel ended it was time to chase down the lead group. I knew that it was very likely that they slowed down considerably after the first gravel section (thanks to talking with Kevin). Keeping my pace steady I had a group of 3 people catch me. I worked with this group till we picked up another group, then another, then another. Once I was able to see the lead group I was shocked that there was only one person still on my wheel. Back on, time to regroup and see what will pan out.

Second Gravel

Another Nature Break and 30ish min of cruising along at 20+ mph and it was time for more gravel. This gravel section had a short pothole infested road leading to a steep gravel climb followed by several miles of rolling hills. I made sure to hit this climb in the top 10 (the lead group had swelled to 30+ with some women and master riders mixed in). About half way up this climb it was obvious that there were 4 groups that would form. I was feeling good and was going to be placed in the second or third group...

...Or so I thought until halfway up the climb when I looked over to see who was passing me. Stupid, stupid, stupid! I had ran off the road as I glanced over at the other riders. Forced to walk the rest of the climb I finished out this gravel section riding on my own.

The Chase

As I rounded the last turn of the second gravel section I could see 3 groups ahead of me. A group of 2 ~100 feet just ahead of me, group of 3 ~ 50 feet ahead of them, and a group of 4 ~ 150 feet ahead of them. Wait to get caught by a group, then chase, or chase now?.....

....Chase Now! Going all out I decided I wanted to latch onto the group ahead of me. After sprinting for a few seconds then riding at LT for a few min I was still ~50 feet behind the closest group as they merged with the group ahead of them. At this time I realized I was not going to be able to catch them. So I sat up, took in the sights and extra energy, and waited to be caught by a group. Before too long I was back in the chase with a group of 5 other cyclist. We all took our turns pushing the pace in the wind and resting at the back. As the group neared the last gravel section only 3, of the then 10 cyclist, were still taking turns at the front.        

Last Gravel

The last gravel section started with a long steep hill climb. I was able to climb the hill ok until I rounded a corner and could not see the end of the hill. At this point I did some mental math comparing speed and energy usage and decided it was time to hike-a-bike. With the hike-a-bike done and knowing that there were some other climbs and descents coming up I decided to test my road bike handling skills (or I should say how well MTB skills translate to riding road bikes on gravel at speed) and tried not to break going into turns. This worked out well as I was able to pass several people on that last section of gravel. Before I knew it the hard parts of the race was over...

...Or so I thought

Just Let It End: Chip-N-Seal From H3ll

After a short smooth road section we hit the worst roads I've ever ridden. If the gravel at mile 75ish was a slap to the face, this road at mile 85ish was a Nut Shot delivered by a mule. It lasted right around 10 miles and was so pothole infested that riding over it in a full size truck at 20mph would hurt. Trying to keep the pace high on this road took everything out of me. Less than 3 miles into this section I was mentally done, my digestion started to shut down, and I was hurting to just suck the wheel of anyone around me.

With ~4 miles left to go the roads finally smoothed out. My motivation picked back up and my digestion started to process energy again! Riding in a small group of 5 I decided it was time for me to do my dues at the front and eat the wind. Climbing up the next to the last hill I felt good, strong, and ready to go. No more than a few hundred feet into the climb I heard the people behind me complain that "This hill better stop around this next bend." I knew we still had 3+ min of climbing to do (this hill was part of my leg opener ride the day before) so it was time to put in some more energy to see how well I could finish. I felt sorry for the people who pulled me through the Chip-N-Seal section, as I turned up the pace they just could not keep up (I know that this is generally looked down on but I wanted to see how my legs would respond to one more hard effort 5 hr into a race).

At 5 hr 30 min I crossed the finish line of the hardest race I've ever attempted. Looked around for people I knew, did not see anyone so I grabbed some water, laid down for a bit, then spun back to the start. Turns out that I finished 16th only 21 min behind the winner.

HR and Altitude Data: Rouge Roubaix
 Speaking of the winner, Kevin won in spectacular fashion. Riding away from the lead group on the last gravel section and TTing it for the last 20ish miles to win by more than 6 min. The other Starkville guy I ride with, David A, finished 9th in his supper hard Cat 3/4 race. Congrats guys, and to everyone who finished that crazy hard 106 mile race!

No comments:

Post a Comment